West Midlands Young Athletes League Race 3, December 7th 2008, Sandwell Valley Park
There were some special performances from the youngsters today at Sandwell Valley Country Park, West Bromwich. The course was fast and undulating with the first few races run in cold frosty conditions. As the day progressed and the sun shone, the frost turned to mud making the conditions less than ideal for the final races.
Individual winners were Amy Griffiths (U13 Girls) and Lucy Crookes (U17 Girls) whose dominant front running left their competitors in their wake. Louisa Monk put in her best performance yet and finished with a thrilling sprint finish to snatch second place behind Lucy and to help the U17 Girls to win the team event on the day and to place her third individually overall. Catherine Robertson (12) and Amy Danaher (16) completed the team to leave the Coritanian's team in a strong position going into the next two races with a healthy 47 point lead over Royal Sutton Coldfield.
The U11 Girls were out in force today and they managed to reduce the gap on team leaders Royal Sutton Coldfield to 26 points. The performances by these girls were especially rewarding because the majority of them competed in the Primary School races at Western Park yesterday. Eleanor Long put in another confident performance to place third in the race and to be the second placed individual overall. Shannon Anderson was the next Leicester athlete home after she worked through the field to claim 5th place in the race and this resulted moved her to 5th place in the overall standings.
Xander Tansey (U13 Boys) tracked the leaders throughout his race and lost by a narrow margin to finish in third place. His placing makes him the second placed athlete in the overall standings.
- U11 Girls Eleanor Long (3) Shannon Anderson (5) Beth Taylor (12) Bronya Bird (17) Lucy Whitehead (21) Niamh Kirk (31) Molly McCallister (52) Lucy Perry (65) KAtie Saunders (66) Olivia Bramley (67) Chloe Cotterill (68) Ellen Smith (87). Team second place overall with 2803 points (RSC leaders on 2829 points).
- U13 Girls Amy Griffiths (1) Livvy Tansey (13) Rachel Borrows (22) Hannah Perry (27) Nettie Burd (47). Team second place overall 2697 points (Leaders Halesowen 2743 points).
- U15 Girls Freya Vincent (5) April Beeby (9) Megan Fairbrother (11). Team sixth place overall 2378 points (Leaders RSC 2794).
- U17 Girls Lucy Crookes (1) Louisa Monk (2) Catherine Robertson (12) Amy Danaher (16). Team first place overall 1762 points.
- U11 Boys Luke Beeby (16)
- U13 Boys Xander Tansey (3) Zak Anderson (28) Ben Craig (36) and Cameron Hart (62). Team 10th place overall 1935 points. (Leaders Tamworth 2804 points).
- U15 Boys Harry Mullen (14) Jonathan Monk (24)
- U17 Boys Liam Phelan (8) and 6th placed individual overall Elliott Hart (12) Stephen Maddocks (21) Danny Callow (23). Team 11th overall 1319 points (Leaders Cannock and Staffs 1666 points)